Rate this page

Information for Students Transferring to Wor-Wic

Transferring from Other Colleges and Universities

Wor-Wic accepts courses that have been completed at another regionally-accredited, degree-granting institution of higher education if the courses are equivalent to and meet the requirements of the student's program of study at Wor-Wic. Upon the receipt of official transcripts, transfer credits are evaluated by the registrar on a course-by-course basis. Semester hours for classes at a school operating on a quarter hour system are adjusted to determine equivalent semester hours.

In addition to the same graduation requirements that apply to all other students, transfer students must complete at least 25 percent of their coursework at Wor-Wic. Credits awarded by proficiency examinations at other institutions are also accepted at Wor-Wic. Transfer credits are counted toward credits needed for a degree, but they are not used in the computation of grade point average (except for the calculation of admission points in emergency medical services, nursing and radiologic technology). If a student has received a grade of "B" or better in a course for which transfer credit has been awarded, that course cannot be repeated for credit at Wor-Wic. If a student registers for a course and subsequently receives transfer credit for that course, the course registration is changed to an audit status.

Students who are on academic probation or suspension at other schools may be accepted at Wor-Wic. These students are automatically placed on probation. Students in this status are strongly encouraged to consult with their advisor and the director of retention and student success.

Transfer Credits

  • All students must fill in an Admissions Application.
    • Students must have official transcripts, from all previous institutions attended, mailed directly to the Registrar’s Office at Wor-Wic. WWCC accepts official transcripts from accredited colleges and universities, the military, Advanced Placement (AP), CLEP, and DANTES. We follow credit recommendations made by the American Council on Education (ACE) and the National Program on Non-collegiate Sponsored Instruction (PONSI). Transcripts must be dated within the calendar year from the date that it is submitted to Wor-Wic. It is the student's responsibility to supply the Registrar’s Office with the appropriate catalog or course description if one is not readily available. All General Education courses transferred in from a Maryland public institution are acceptable for credit with a grade of "D" or higher as long as the "D" is acceptable in the student’s program of study.
  • Wor-Wic accepts transcripts via ETS at code: 020739. You may check with your college or university to see if they participate.
    School ETS CodesMicrosoft Excel Spreadsheet icon
    • The transfer of credits will be considered on the basis of applicability to the student's chosen program of study at Wor-Wic Community College. Credits/transcripts will only be evaluated for students who have declared a program at WWCC.
    • In order to be awarded a degree or certificate, a minimum of 25% or 15 credits must be completed at WWCC. Exceptions to this policy may be considered on a case-by-case basis through the Registrar’s Office. Other sources of non-traditional learning are evaluated on a case-by-case basis through the student’s program department. A student may request a course substitution or waiver by submitting a written request to his or her advisor.
    • Students who would like to change their major/program of study and wish to have their transcripts re-evaluated for consideration of additional transfer credits, must submit a Change in Student Information FormAdobe Portable Document Format (PDF) icon to the Admissions office.
    • Credits earned at an institution operating on the quarter hour system will be converted to semester credit hours if the credit is transferable. Quarter hours are multiplied by 2/3 to equal semester credit hours. For example, 5 quarter hours convert to 3.33 semester hours. Since Wor-Wic does not issue partial or ½ credits, a student may only be eligible for 3 out of the 3.33 credits.
    • Transfer students pursuing an associate degree or certificate are strongly encouraged to meet with an academic advisor, or Associate Registrar, prior to registering for credit courses. A review of assessment results, previous college credits, the length of time away from college, and academic standing at the previous institution should be taken into consideration when planning an appropriate course load.
  • The following courses are not accepted:
    • courses from colleges/universities that are not accredited
    • remedial/developmental skills courses
    • courses for which "0" credit was received
    • courses marked with an "I" or "W" or "in progress"
    • pre-requisite courses that require a certain grade or higher may need to be repeated to take additional courses
    • courses with a grade of "B" or better cannot be repeated for credit
  • Placement testing is waived for all students who possess bachelor's or higher degrees, college transfer students who have received transfer credit for ENG 101 and/or a higher-level mathematics course, and students who have received SAT subset scores of at least 500 or ACT subset scores of at least 21 within the past two years.

Transfer of Credits from Foreign Institutions

Foreign students who want to be admitted as high school graduates or who want to transfer college credits into Wor-Wic must have their high school or college transcripts evaluated by an acceptable academic credential evaluation service, at their own expense. The registrar’s office maintains a list of acceptable academic credential evaluation services. Credits transferred from foreign institutions are treated the same as transfer credits from U.S. institutions. Non U.S. academic credit evaluated by another U.S. college or university will not be accepted, and a general education course cannot be accepted if equivalent to less than three (3) semester hours. Please feel free to browse the Foreign Transcript Evaluation LetterAdobe Portable Document Format (PDF) icon and contact the service(s) of your choice for further information and forms. Please note that a course-by-course evaluation is required.

Military Transfer Students

Military credits and credits for specialized training recognized by the American Council on Education are treated the same as transfer credits. Official military transcripts of prior training and courses must be submitted to the Registrar’s Office at Wor-Wic. Transcript websites are provided below.

College Board, CLEP and Standardized Testing Agencies

Wor-Wic accepts College-Level Examination Program (CLEP) and Advanced Placement (AP) course work completed with a score of “3” or higher. Students who have completed AP courses in high school should have an official score report sent to Wor-Wic’s registrar’s office from the College Board. Copies of high school transcripts are not acceptable.

AP scores may be applied as college credit. Please request an official transcript to be sent from the College BoardExternal Link.

High School Articulation Agreements

High school students in Worcester, Wicomico, Somerset and Dorchester counties are eligible to receive college credit for certain courses they have completed in high school as a result of articulation agreements between Wor-Wic and the local boards of education. Students seeking articulation credit must have a copy of their high school transcript forwarded to the registrar's office for review prior to registering for course work. High school students who have acquired competencies in courses that are equivalent to college or university courses receive college credit after completing one term at the college, and the course does not need to be repeated. Articulation credits are transferable to other Maryland public post-secondary institutions. Information on eligibility can be obtained from the registrar's office.

NOTE: In order for a course to articulate to Wor-Wic Community College the student must receive a grade of “B” or better, submit a high school transcript to the Director of Admissions, be admitted to the college within three years of high school graduation, and complete one 100-level course at the college before earned articulation credit is posted.

Financial Aid

  • Complete and process the FAFSAExternal Link between January 1st and March 1st for fall or before November 1st for spring.
  • Apply for state scholarships before March 1st for fall. Visit the Maryland Higher Education Commission (MHEC)External Link for a list of scholarships.
  • Contact your senator and/or delegate and request a scholarship application. Visit the Maryland Elected Officials websiteExternal Link to find out who your elected officials are.
  • Complete the acknowledgement for WAFSA (Wor-Wic's Academic and Financial Aid Scholarship Agreement) before June.

Find out more about Financial Aid and Scholarships on our website.


Obtain a copy of your transcript from previous colleges attended, available from the registrar's office at the college or university you attended. If your college participates, you may have your transcript sent electronically through the Electronic Transcript Service (ETS program). To determine if your school is part of the program, please view the School ETS Codes tablesMicrosoft Excel Spreadsheet icon.

Rate this web page