Skip Navigation LinksHome : Student Services : Disability Services
 Rate this page

Disability Services

Location: Counseling Office, MTC 103

Wor-Wic provides reasonable accommodations for individuals with disabilities, in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) of 1990 and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973. The college does not diagnose or treat disabilities, but does provide reasonable accommodations to ensure that disabled students have and equal opportunity to participate in Wor-Wic's educational programs. Student examples of disabilities eligible for services include:

  • Learning disabilities
  • Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)
  • Psychological disabilities (ex: depression, anxiety, PTSD)
  • Chronic medical conditions
  • Deaf/Hard of hearing
  • Visual disabilities
  • Autism Spectrum Disorders
  • Traumatic Brain Injury

In order to provide students with accommodations, documentation of the disability must be provided to the Disabilities Office. Documentation can be an official evaluation or letter from a licensed professional that clearly states your diagnosis. The college does not evaluate, diagnose or treat disabilities.

Appropriate documentation should be submitted to the Academic and Disabilities Counselor or the Director of Counseling at least four weeks before the start of classes so that eligibility can be determined and the appropriate accommodations can be made.

Text, voice and computer modem users can call Wor-Wic toll free through the Maryland Relay Service by calling Customer Service 1-800-552-7724 or 410-767-6960 (Voice/TTY); Customer Service 1-443-453-5970 (Video Phone).

Seeking Learning Accommodations

Based upon the nature of your disability, you may be eligible to receive certain accommodations to assist you with your education.

Some common accommodations include:

  • More time on tests
  • Taking tests outside of the classroom
  • Notetaking accommodations
  • Use of a recording device in the classroom
  • Assistive technology for learning disabilities & visual impairments
  • Sign language interpretation

Accommodations are looked at on a case-by-case basis with evaluation from the Disabilities Office staff. Not all students will qualify for all accommodations.

For more information, please see our guide to accommodationsAdobe Portable Document Format (PDF) icon.

Transitioning from High School

Making the transition from high school to college is tough for all students, but especially so for those with disabilities. College requires a great deal more independence and hard work than high school curriculums do.

In many instances, students are not eligible for the same level of academic supports that their IEP’s or 504 plans entitled them to in high school. It is also important to note that the IEP/504 plan is not automatically forwarded to your new college—it is your responsibility to provide the information to the college.

To help educate students and their families about this transition, the Disabilities Office has prepared a PowerPoint presentation to go over some of the critical issues associated with transitioning from high schoolMicrosoft PowerPoint Presentation icon.

Additional Internet Resources

Disabilities Office Staff

Counseling and Disability Services

Rosemarie Bagnall
Administrative Associate I, Student Services

Karen Mohler
Academic and Disabilities Counselor

Penny Walters
Rate this web page