Skip Navigation LinksHome : Pay For College : Financial Aid and Scholarships : Veteran and Military Students
 Rate this page

Veteran and Military Students

Wor-Wic Community College is approved by the Maryland Higher Education Commission (MHEC)External Link to participate in the Veterans Educational Benefits Program. All associate degree and certificate programs are approved for VA Educational Benefits. Several of Wor-Wic’s Continuing Education courses are approved for GI-Bill® benefits. Students must visit the Veterans Coordinator to discuss their applicable VA education eligibility. Students must complete their applicable forms as provided below.

Wor-Wic complies with Sections 701 and 702 of the Veterans Access, Choice and Accountability Act of 2014.

Wor-Wic Community College has been selected “Military Friendly” for seven years in a row.

VA Designated Chapters

The VA established several educational programs known as chapters:

  • Chapter 31 (Vocational Rehabilitation veterans with a medical disability rating)
  • Chapter 33 (Post 9-11 veterans, active duty, reservists and National Guard who have deployed)
  • Chapter 35 (eligible dependents of a 100% disabled veteran or a deceased veteran)
  • Chapter 1606 (reservists and National Guard who have not deployed)

To Apply for Benefits

  • Chapter 31: Vocational Rehabilitation students must apply for educational benefits through a VA Vocational Rehabilitation counselor. See the Wor-Wic Veterans Coordinator for the contact information of the regional VA Vocational Rehabilitation counselor. For more information visit the VA Vocational Rehabilitation websiteExternal Link.
  • Chapter 33: The Post 9-11 GI-Bill® is the educational benefits program for individuals who served on active duty after September 11, 2001. Veterans may be eligible if they served at least 90 aggregate days on active duty after September 10, 2001. Students must submit the Veterans Online Application (VONAPP) VA Form 22-1990External Link to determine eligibility. The VA’s regional processing office determines Veteran’s eligibility. Additional information may be found on the GI-Bill® WebsiteExternal Link.
  • Chapter 35: Survivors' and Dependents' Education Assistance (DEA) students must complete and submit VA Form 22-5490External Link. The VA’s regional processing office determines the applicable dependent’s eligibility. Additional information may be found on the GI-Bill® WebsiteExternal Link.
  • Chapter 1606: Montgomery GI-Bill® Selected Reserve students must complete and submit the VA Form 22-1990External Link. The VA’s regional processing office determines reservist’s eligibility. Additional information may be found on the GI-Bill® WebsiteExternal Link.

All eligible students wishing to use their VA educational benefits while attending Wor-Wic must renew their Veterans Education Benefits Form each academic year. The applicable Veterans Education Benefits Form is provided below:

Eastern Shore Criminal Justice Academy (ESCJA). Cadets eligible for the Post 9-11 GI-Bill® may use their educational benefits while enrolled in the academy. Cadets must complete the ESCJA Education Benefits Request FormAdobe Portable Document Format (PDF) icon.

All transfer students who have previously used their GI-Bill® at another institution must submit the Change of Program or Place of Training form VA Form 22-1995External Link.

Chapter 33 and Chapter 1606 students must submit member copy four of their DD-214 (Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty) to the Wor-Wic Veterans Coordinator.

How to Start Your VA Benefits

Step 1 Complete a College Admissions Application. Please refer to our Application Procedures.
Step 2 Take the College Placement Test (if applicable).
Step 3 Meet with the Wor-Wic Veterans Coordinator in BH-111.
Step 4 Request that all official transcripts of your prior college and military credits be sent to the Registrar’s Office. See Useful Links below for how to order transcripts.
Step 5 Register for classes.

Military Tuition Assistance (TA)

Military members (active duty and reservists) who plan to use tuition assistance (TA) while attending Wor-Wic must request TA through their applicable military chain-of-command. Students planning to use TA while attending Wor-Wic must submit the Department of Defense (DoD) Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) FormAdobe Portable Document Format (PDF) icon to the Wor-Wic Veterans Coordinator.

Maryland National Guard Members

Members of the Maryland National Guard are eligible for a 50 percent tuition waiver if all eligibility requirements are met. Guard members must have two or more years of service remaining to be eligible for the waiver. An official command or unit State Tuition Waiver Letter and a copy of the member’s military identification card must be submitted to the Veterans Coordinator. National Guard members may also be eligible for the Chapter 1606 Montgomery Selected Reserve GI-Bill®. More info may be found at The Maryland National GuardExternal Link.

Terms of Payment

Students must comply with Wor-Wic’s payment policies. Students eligible for the Post 9-11 GI-Bill®, the Vocational Rehabilitation program or tuition assistance (TA) may have their tuition and fees payment deferred. See the Veterans Coordinator for more information regarding payment procedures and policy.

If eligible, monthly GI-Bill® education stipends are sent directly to the student. The VA is not responsible for tuition and fees payment to the college except in the case of eligible Chapter 33 (Post 9-11) and Chapter 31 (Vocational Rehabilitation) students.

Important Notes

The VA will only pay for classes that are required for the student’s associate’s degree or program of study.

Students are required to contact the Wor-Wic Veterans Coordinator if they add, drop or withdraw from classes or change their degree or program of study.

An official military transcript must be submitted to the Registrar’s Office for credit evaluation. Transcript websites are provided below under Useful Links.

Students receiving monthly education benefits under Chapter 1606 must verify their enrollment each month while attending college. Students must verify their monthly enrollment either on or after the last day of each month. The VA will not release monthly Chapter 1606 payments until the verification process is completed. The monthly enrollment verification must be submitted by logging onto the Web Automated Verification of Enrollment (WAVE)External Link or by calling 1-877-823-2378.

GI-Bill® eligible students and military students may also apply for financial assistance from the various federal, state and institutional financial aid programs. To apply for financial aid, visit the FAFSA websiteExternal Link. Contact the Veterans Coordinator or Financial Aid Office for more information.

Useful Links

Rate this web page