Wor-Wic Community College complies with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA) and its amendments. FERPA is a federal law which concerns the confidentiality of student education records. The act, and regulations implemented by the department of education, govern the dissemination of student educational records at all colleges and universities that receive federal funds.
FERPA affords eligible students certain rights with respect to their education records. An “eligible student” under FERPA is a student who is 18 years of age or older or who attends a postsecondary institution.
These rights include:
- The right to inspect and review the student's education records within 45 days after the day the college receives a request for access.
- The right to request an amendment of the student’s education records if the student believes the record is inaccurate or misleading.
- The right to provide written consent before the college discloses personally identifiable information (PII) from the student's education records, except to the extent that FERPA authorizes disclosure without consent.
- The right to file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Education concerning an alleged failure by the college to comply with the requirements of FERPA. The name and address of the office that administers FERPA is:
Family Policy Compliance Office
U.S. Department of Education
400 Maryland Avenue, SW
Washington, DC 20202-5920
FERPA allows for the release of student directory information without consent. Certain information is considered public and is provided to any individual who makes a request for the information, unless the student submits a written request for the information to be withheld. This information includes, but is not limited to:
- Student’s name
- City of residence
- Photo ID
- Dates of the student’s attendance
- Whether or not an individual has ever attended Wor-Wic
- Dean’s list honors
- Any degree or certificate received and the date of graduation
For additional FERPA information, please refer to the College Catalog
If you have a question or concerns please contact the registrar’s office at email@example.com