Wor-Wic Community College is closely monitoring the outbreak of the COVID-19 virus, which is caused by a member of the coronavirus family, and was first detected in Wuhan City, China. It is a respiratory illness that presents flu-like symptoms.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommends everyday preventive actions to help prevent the spread of respiratory diseases, including the following:
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth.
- Stay home when you are sick.
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash.
- Clean and disinfect frequently-touched objects and surfaces using a regular household cleaning spray or wipe.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, especially after going to the bathroom, before eating and after blowing your nose, coughing or sneezing. If soap and water are not readily available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol. Always wash your hands with soap and water if they are visibly dirty.
We encourage you to take necessary precautions and to follow the recommendations of our local health departments, the state health department and the CDC.
Wor-Wic will continue to monitor the situation, review related policies and take all necessary steps to keep our campus community informed. We will continue to update this page as new information becomes available.